Monday, May 10, 2010

Spicy Italian Meatballs In Marinara Sauce Over Spaghetti

It's hard to believe I made it through 57 years of my life before finally attempting to make my own meatballs for spaghetti. Once I tried them, I was amazed at how simple they are to make. Furthermore, I found that I can make enough to put an equal amount on the table and in the freezer, for a future time when I don't really feel like cooking a huge meal. I was also surprised at how much more delicious they were than any meatballs I'd ever had, even at the best Italian restaurants. So, don't be afraid to try them yourself.

Mr. Snooty practically swooned over these meatballs, so I feel like my mission was fully accomplished. I think they would also be divine served as an appetizer in a bit of mushroom sauce. So, let's get to it.

Spicy Meatballs In Marinara Sauce Over Spaghetti Pasta:

Meatball Ingredients:

1 lb. ground sirloin

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1 cup Italian breadcrumbs

1/2 cup onion, chopped

2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped

1 teaspoon oregano

3-4 cloves garlic, smashed & finely minced

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper


Ingredients For Sauce:

3 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup chopped onion

4 cloves garlic, smashed & minced

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 cans (26 to 38 oz.) crushed tomatoes

1 small can of tomato paste

1 cup red wine

1 cup beef broth (or more if needed)



Additional items:

16 ounces of spaghetti, cooked according to directions

shaved fresh Parmesan cheese, to taste


Directions For Meatballs:

1. In a large mixing bowl, lightly scramble the eggs. Add the remaining ingredients for meatballs and mix. I find the best way to do this is to mix it with your hands, but I do wear gloves.

2. Begin forming beef mixture into round balls. We like our small, but make them whatever size you like.

3. Brown the meatballs in a skillet with a little olive oil and beef broth, just enough to keep them moist.


4. When they are lightly browned, remove and set aside.




Directions For Sauce:


1. Saute the onion in the olive oil until almost transparent. Add garlic and cook a moment or two longer.


2. Pour the can of tomatoes into the pan, as well as all of the other ingredients. 


3. Cook over medium high heat until it begins to bubble, turning it down to a low simmer. 


4. Add the meatballs, cover the pan and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.


5. Serve over cooked spaghetti pasta, topped with shaved Parmesan cheese, with garlic toast and a tossed salad.


6 comments:

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

My all-time comfort dish! :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

Perfectly comforting and delicious!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Homemade meatballs are the best! Your look so good I want to eat a big ol' bowl full please :) Delicious!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

For years I bought frozen meatballs and once I started making them from scratch I couldn't believe the difference! Great recipe...love the addition of the red wine in the sauce... YUM!

Mrs. L said...

I've been craving meatballs for weeks but have wanted to make my own if possible. These sound good!

Anonymous said...

I am so hungry for this right now. But I don't dare lick the screen of my new laptop... Pap would have a fit.