Since there are now just the two of us here at home, I usually split this recipe into two or three separate casserole dishes and freeze them for future use. It's such a treat some nights to just toss a casserole dish into the oven and have dinner ready an hour later. Enjoy!
King Ranch Chicken Casserole:
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 stick of butter
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can of Cream of Chicken soup
12 soft corn tortillas cut or torn into bite size pieces
1/4 cup of chicken broth
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
2. Pour a little of the chicken broth over the tortillas.
3. In a large skillet, sauté the onion and bell peppers in the butter until almost transparent.
4. Set aside to cool.
6. Add the onion & bell pepper mixture, stirring well.
7. In 13 x 9" glass casserole dish, arrange alternate layers of tortillas, soup mixture, and grated cheese, until all ingredients are used.
8. Bake in 350 degree pre-heated oven for 50 minutes or until heated through & bubbly & cheese is browned.
9. May be frozen for future use before or after cooking.