Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memphis Style Ribs With Mashed Potato Salad.... Memorial Day Celebration!

It's always such a relief when warm weather finally arrives and this year it's more of a relief than ever. Memorial Day weekend is the beginning of warm weather, which also signals the onset of cooking on the grill, which is just about my favorite way to cook most things edible. So, it only stands to reason that one of my first grilled meals of the summer season includes spare ribs. We love them in this house. And frankly, you just can't have ribs without having the traditional potato salad or coleslaw, right?


There must be at least a bazillion different ways to cook ribs (and I love them all) but today my ribs are done in the Memphis style.  

There are also just as many recipes for potato salad, but this is my favorite. I know I must be weird but I just don't like potato salad with the big ole chunks of hard potatoes. It probably has something to do with all the tooth and gum trouble I've had lately. However, I've always preferred my own potato salad to anyone else's.

Memphis Style Barbecued Ribs:

Ingredients:

3 lbs. of pork spare ribs

For Rub:
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of cayenne

For Sauce:
2 cups ketchup
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup red wine vinegar
4-5 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons of Louisiana hot sauce


Directions:

1. Prepare ribs by removing the membrane on the underside and any loose meat or fat. 

2. Prepare smoker or grill. You will want to hold a temperature of around 225 degrees F for 4 to 6 hours.

3. Season ribs with Memphis rub and place on grill or smoker.

4. While ribs are cooking, make barbecue sauce. Blend together everything with the ketchup.

5. Place in a medium saucepan and cook over a medium-low heat for approximately 30 minutes.

6. Remove from heat and set aside. 

6. Cook ribs until they have an internal temperature of about 145 degrees F.

7. Cook the ribs about 30 minutes longer, basting with the sauce every ten minutes, when you turn the ribs.
 

Mashed Potato Salad:

Ingredients:

5 red potatoes
6 Yukon gold potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
salt & pepper, to taste
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup sour cream
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon dill relish (or diced dill pickles)
1/2 bunch of green onions, finely sliced/chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped

Directions:

1. Cube potatoes and place in medium size saucepan, covered with water.

2. Cook over medium heat until done.

3. Drain and place potatoes in a large bowl.

4. Mash potatoes with the butter, salt, and pepper.

5. Once mashed, stir in the remaining ingredients until well blended.

6. Refrigerate until ready to eat.


Tip: You can also use leftover mashed potatoes if that's all you have. And, you can change up the ingredients any way you like.

6 comments:

lisaiscooking said...

Your mashed potato salad sounds great! I'd love to try it. Hope you have a great weekend!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

I'm not a huge fan of ribs but my best friend tells me that I haven't lived because I haven't tried mashed potato salad. Now I have a recipe to use so I can try it. It sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Mmm... Memphis style ribs look awesome!

Mrs. L said...

Oh man, I'm definitely going to have to try the mashed potato salad!

Bettie from Southern Thresholds said...

Your potato salad has to be the most colorful dish I've seen. I can't wait to try this one. Love the blog. Thanks so much.

Snooty Primadona said...

Thanks Bettie! It's my favorite potato salad in the world. Hope you like it. Just adjust the seasonings & condiments according to your own tastes. Bon Appetit!