Wednesday, November 25, 2009
So, I'm going to share it with you and hope that you like it as much as we do.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole:
5 pounds of baking potatoes, peeled and quartered (or skin left on for baking)
1 stick of butter
3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup of Half & Half or milk
1 cup sour cream
1/2 of an 8-ounce block of cream cheese, cut into smaller chunks
2 large eggs
1 cup green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1 tablespoon dried or 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
3/4 cup of crispy bacon, crumbled (2 to 3 slices of slab or 3 to 4 slices of regular bacon)
2-1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1. Bake or boil the potatoes. I prefer just boiling them, covered in water. When a fork can be easily inserted, remove potatoes from flame and drain in a colander. Place potatoes back in pot and mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
2. Add the butter and keep mashing until you have a pretty smooth consistency.
3. Now you can add the cheddar cheese, sour cream, milk, eggs, cream cheese chunks, green onions, chives, parsley, salt, pepper and bacon and stir until well blended. Make sure you reserve a little of the bacon and the shredded cheese for the topping.
4. Pour the mixture (it will be thick) into a large casserole oven dish and smooth out. Sprinkle the reserved shredded cheese and bacon over the top. You can also sprinkle some green onions over the top when done.
5. Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 40 to 45 minutes.