Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Grilled Beef Tenderloin Steaks With Asparagus & Risotto Cakes, Smothered In Gorgonzola Sauce


I've been anxious to try out a new recipe for Gorgonzola sauce and at first, I wanted to serve it over chicken. But, a friend suggested that I try it with steak and boy was she right. Mr. Snooty and I do love our sauces and this has become our new favorite. I swear if I thought I could get Mr. Snoots to lick it off, I'd cover my body in it. Yes, we *old farts* do have our fun now and then. However, that's another story, for another day.



I make my Risotto cakes either the day before or earlier in the day, then refrigerate, uncooked. This makes for a much less chaotic time making dinner. I'm all for no chaos, aren't you?



You can go ahead and rub the steaks with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and put in fridge. If you cook on an outside grill, go ahead and get the coals started in your chimney so that the coals will be ready in approximately 45 minutes. If you haven't heard of a chimney, you need to go in search of one. We've been using the same one for more than 10 years and it totally eliminates the need for starter fluid. I know Academy Sports sells them at a low price.


During this time, I heat up the oil for the Risotto cakes, cook them, and keep them in a warm oven until dinner.


Next, I prepare the asparagus spears, place them in a steamer inside a pan of water and set aside. The sauce doesn't take long to make, perhaps 10 to 15 minutes. When it's ready, I cover the pan and keep the heat as low as it goes, stirring when I have a chance.




By now the fire is ready so it's time for the steaks to go on. This is the time I start steaming the asparagus, letting it steam after turning the heat off, for about 7 minutes total. We like it to still be a bit crisp.


Steaks should be done about the same time as the asparagus.


Gorgonzola Sauce:

Ingredients:


3 tablespoons of butter

3 tablespoons of flour

3 cups of 1% milk (yes, it works just fine)

1/2 cup of Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese

salt, to taste

 pepper, to taste

3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, minced


Directions:


1. Melt butter in a saucepan over a medium high heat.

2. Stir in flour and milk with a whisk and heat until it begins to thicken.

3. Stir in cheese, cook until it is melted and reaches the desired consistency.

 4. Stir in salt, pepper and parsley until blended.

5. Serve drizzled over the entire plate.

4 comments:

noble pig said...

OMG that sauce. I mean geez. I know I love any food that has the word smothered in the title. I love gorgonzola sauce over polenta too. Yeah...

Krista Dearden said...

Wow...that looks absolutely amazing! I would happily gulp down anything smothered in a gorgonzola sauce. I can't wait to give it a try.

Juliana said...

Such a treat! Very nice meal indeed...they all look so good that I'd not know where to start. Nice pictures.

Melissa said...

Maybe it's because grilling season is getting started, but you are the third steak with gorgonzola sauce I've seen in two weeks haha. It looks delicious, though I admit I'm a bit hungrier for the risotto cakes. I remember you posted the recipe for them sometime last year and I still need to make them!